Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fruit & Nut Quinoa Salad


#LOVE is...
Did I mention I have amazing loveys surrounding me, oftentimes making me delicious fare, which not only delights me, but keeps L healthy? Love my loveys. The recipe below was made by a dear former co-worker, Debbie (Yep, I resigned from my full time job just yesterday to stay at home with my little angel baby). This recipe can be enjoyed 1-handed! ;-)
This recipe is a bit more ambitious than my bowl recipes previously posted but, it lasts a few days and is crazy good for you! What is QUINOA you ask? Click here.
Fruit & Nut Quinoa Salad
Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
¼ cup sliced almonds or your favorite nut
¼ cup dried cranberries or raisins
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
4-6 oz of crumbled feta (depending how much you LOVE feta!)
¾ cup red grapes cut in half
One avocado chopped into large chunks
Juice from 1 fresh lime (squeeze some on the avocado to help keep
green & the rest in the salad)
¾ cup white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt, pepper, & cayenne pepper to taste

Instructions:
Rinse and drain quinoa (you must rinse to remove surface residue). Toast quinoa in bottom of hot empty pan (about 5 minutes or until
grain is dry again). Add 2 cups broth or water and bring to a boil.
Cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Let cool.

In a small bowl, combine lime juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, & cayenne. Gently toss with cooled quinoa and remaining
ingredients. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Eat alone, over green salad, in lettuce wraps or endive leaves.


FYI… I honestly don’t get overly hung up on the measurements (except
for the liquid to quinoa it should always be 2 to 1). Other than that it’s all to taste so tweak as you like!

-Debbie
Thank you, Debbie!
Enjoy, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment